NT ROAD TOLL
The NT road toll for 2018 is alarming, extremely alarming. Not for a moment would I trivialise its seriousness. However, there is a need to consider a few specifics that add to our toll. These go beyond the direct impact on drivers of alcohol, drugs, phones and speed.
* The parlous state of many of our outback roads. We have more gravel and unformed roads than most of the rest of Australia.
* The ‘bragging’ by ‘heroes’ on Facebook and social media when they’ve drive dangerously and arrive early. Others seek to emulate.
* Pedestrian deaths arising from people sleeping on roads being run over.
* The number of tourists in hire vehicles who are not used to our vast distances.
* The promotion of speeding and risk taking driving by car and vehicle advertisers.
* The excessive power of vehicles that are on the market for purchase.
* Road fatalities and injuries caused by the drivers of stolen vehicles.
* The bravado that can overcome drivers urged on by peers, passengers, and crowd encouragement. That ‘attitude’ is rife up here.
Just some points to consider.